An 11-year-old boy knew his mom’s birthday was coming up, so he asked her what she’d like to receive as a present.
“Make me something from your heart,” she replied.
It been a rough year for the family. The boy’s mom had been treated for cancer, and the side effects left her weak and tired. The family finances took a hit because she didn’t have the mental or physical stamina to return to work. Household chores fell by the wayside.
But she was still mom.
She’d sit on the couch and watch old family videos with her son.
She tried to help with homework.
She hugged him, a lot.
This is what the boy wrote in honor of his mom’s birthday.
I am the mom.
This is what MY boy wrote in honor of my birthday.*
Yes, I cried.
*Shared with my son’s permission because, “It might make other people happy, too.”
Other posts you might enjoy:
- When cancer returns; what your friends want you to know about their disease
- Talking with kids: Mama has cancer, but life goes on.
- Parenting mistake? Why I want my kids to be imperfect
- Meet a mom role model: Cynthia is a Mama Bear for her girls with special needs
- New video: My teenager after oral surgery